Prince Andrew 'raises eyebrows' with request for jury trial
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Mark White, GB News’ Home and Security editor, has described moves by Prince Andrew’s legal team to pursue a jury trial as a “real statement of intent.” Ms Guiffe claims she was forced to have sex with Andrew when she was a teenager at Jeffrey Epstein’s mansion in New York, on a private island owned by the financier and the London home of Ghislaine Maxwell.
Andrew has strenuously denied all the allegations levelled against him.
Mr White told GB News: “Well there is no doubt this is a real statement of intent by Prince Andrew’s legal team.
“I know that there were some raised eyebrows with this demand as it was put for a jury trial.”
JUST IN: Royal Family LIVE: Harry and Meghan face fresh attack
He added: “Ms Giuffre, in bringing this civil case before the court, is entitled to a jury trial and that’s exactly what she will get, regardless of what Prince Andrew and his legal team want.
“It is due to do to go to trial incidentally in September of this year, but I think as we’ve seen with events of this nature, I don’t mean events exactly like this, but civil legal cases, big civil legal cases in the US. They tend to get knocked on because there is an awful lot of documentation and evidence that comes to light during this sort of pre-trial process.
“We are very much entering that pre-trial process now with of course these legal documents that were approved before the courts in New York yesterday, in which as I say as part of the statement of intent, the legal team for Prince Andrew say they absolutely intend to contest the allegations made by Virginia Guiffre.”
Prince Andrew: 'No one is bigger than the monarchy' says Tominey
Lawyers for Andrew set out the duke’s response to Ms Giuffre’s allegations in an 11-page document submitted on Wednesday.
In the document, the Prince denies the allegation that he sexually abused Ms Giuffre.
The document, submitted to the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, also sets out a series of defences “without assuming the burden of proof, and expressly denying any and all wrongdoing”.
This includes arguments that the claim should be dismissed because Ms Giuffre is a permanent resident of Australia and that, by entering into a 2009 agreement with Jeffrey Epstein, she “waived the claims now asserted in the complaint”.
Expat fears as Spanish debt spirals – EU economies in crisis [REVEAL]
EU using Northern Ireland as ‘battering ram’ to ‘blackmail’ UK [REACTION]
Meghan Markle rumbled: ‘Perhaps Duchess just doesn’t want to visit UK’ [INSIGHT]
The document concludes: “Prince Andrew hereby demands a trial by jury on all causes of action asserted in the Complaint.”
Judge Lewis A Kaplan previously denied the duke’s application to dismiss the case.
David Boies, a lawyer for Giuffre, said in a statement that Andrew was trying to “blame the victim.”
“We look forward to confronting Prince Andrew with his denials and attempts to blame Ms Giuffre for her own abuse,” Boies said.
Source: Read Full Article