Europe

Royal Family ‘following Meghan Markle’s lead’ in major social media shakeup

Meghan Markle and Harry ‘extremely happy’ in US says insider

While Harry and Meghan have recently announced they are stepping away from social media altogether, the couple were previously noted for using platforms such as Instagram informally, compared to other royals. Prince William and Kate Middleton are thought to have followed their lead, making similar changes to their own social media accounts.

According to Vanity Fair: “As much as Meghan faced criticism from the British press for her use of social media and relationship with the press, the remaining royals seemed to be following her lead, from changing the names on their social media profiles to sharing personal, heartfelt messages throughout the national lockdown.”

Historically, social media accounts shared by the royals had posts “written in the third person” and typically featured photos that media outlets had already released.

However, royal observers said this changed when Harry and Meghan departed Kensington Palace for Frogmore Cottage in Windsor and started their own @SussexRoyal account.

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

On it, Harry and Meghan posted exclusive photos and often became the first source of information for events such as the birth of their son Archie.

It was also the platform the Sussexes used to announce they would be stepping down as senior royals last year.

In addition, Vanity Fair analyst Erin Vanderhoof notes the photo captions posted on the account struck a “less formal tone and were occasionally signed by Meghan or Harry”.

READ: Prince Charles to launch £7 BILLION environment project bizarrely compared to Magna Carta

Afterwards, Prince William and Kate Middleton made some similar changes to their own @KensingtonRoyal account throughout 2020.

In May, they changed the ‘Kensington Palace’ display name to ‘Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’.

They also began posting more personal messages and inside looks into their daily lives.

DON’T MISS:
Prince William threw Kate exclusive lockdown party for 39th birthday – Queen not invited! [INSIGHT]
Royal reunion: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry to attend first family event since Megxit [ANALYSIS]
Queen plans return to Buckingham Palace and birthday ‘to go ahead as normal’ – insider [INFO]

However, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have now taken a different route altogether by stepping back completely from social media platforms.

The Sunday Times reported the two would no longer be using platforms like Twitter, and cited a source as saying they were “very unlikely” to use social media in a personal way.

It is understood the couple made the decision to abandon social media because of the hate they received online.

Last year, Meghan referred to the amount of abuse she received on the internet as “almost unsurvivable”.

She said on an episode of the Teenager Therapy podcast in October: “I’m told that in 2019, I was the most trolled person in the entire world, male or female.”

Meghan and Harry have proved to be popular on social media, with their @SussexRoyal Instagram account gaining over one million follows in less than six hours in 2019.

However, the couple have stopped using the royal account since stepping back from their royal duties.

They currently live in California, where they are focusing on their various media production deals and charitable projects.

Source: Read Full Article