Europe

Royal POLL: As Megxit review date nears, should Queen strip Meghan and Harry of titles?

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

Despite stepping back as senior royals, Harry and Meghan still kept their royal dukedoms, although they agreed not to use their His/Her Royal Highness prefixes. It was also agreed during exit discussions earlier this year that Harry would not be stripped of his honorary titles but would also not use them. Amid constant scrutiny, the pair sparked controversy when they visited a cemetery in Los Angeles to lay a wreath to mark Armistice Day.

The move caused controversy with some labelling it as a publicity stunt, with many royal fans demanding the Queen step in.

When the review is taken in March next year, do you think the Queen should strip Meghan and Harry of their titles?

Ahead of Armistice Day, Harry had requested a wreath be laid on his behalf during the processions around the Cenotaph on Sunday.

His request was rejected, however, leading to some, including ITV’s Good Morning Britain host Piers Morgan, to claim the move was a publicity stunt.

Commenting on the incident, one Twitter user said: “Meghan and Harry should have dropped their titles the minute they started to complain about the Royal Family.

“They are using the titles to gain followers and fame.”

Another person lashed out at the couple and said: “What the hell does it take to strip the titles, the money and the perks and say take your abnormal need for attention while selling clothes at the expense of dead servicemen and women and leave.

“Someone else simply said they are fed up of hearing about the couple and urged them to be stripped of “all titles and let them be on their own.”

JUST IN: Queen ‘to be front of queue’ for Covid vaccine say This Morning panel

That was quickly denied by those close to Harry who instead insisted it was the Duke’s desire to honour his military family.

A source: “If you listen to the podcast that he did at the weekend, he talks about wearing the poppy and wanting to recognise Remembrance Sunday, not only for all those people historically but also for the people he knew that he lost.

“I don’t think that’s someone who does something like Remembrance Sunday as a publicity stunt.”

Although there have been calls for the Queen to drop their titles, royal biographer Sean Smith claimed Meghan and Harry will never lose their titles.

DON’T MISS

Royal Family LIVE: The Queen’s secret weapon! How Kate saved royals [Live blog]
Carole Middleton heartbreak as she faces Xmas without grandchildren [Latest]
Queen hit by death of close friend & maid of honour Lady Moyra [Update]

He also told Express.co.uk: “Harry will remain the Duke of Sussex, I don’t think there is any doubt of that.

“Because when Prince Charles becomes King he will be the son of the King.

“And he will, they both will be back for ceremonial things in this country.”

The review into their royal departure will be conducted before the end of March next year.

Since deciding to step back as senior royals, Harry and Meghan moved to Los Angeles to begin their new lives.

One of the priorities for the pair was to become more financially independent as part of their new lives.

Since their departure, Meghan and Harry have founded a new production company and have signed a multi-year deal with Netflix.

Under the deal, the pair will produce documentaries, feature films, children’s programmes and feature films.

Despite signing the deal, their exit could be altered next year and is not entirely set a stone.

Speaking about the Sussexes’ news lives and freedom, Richard Fitzwilliams told Express.co.uk: “It is important to bear in mind that Harry and Meghan are a unique case.

“They are non-working royals, provided the arrangement which the Queen brokered at Sandringham is renewed before the end of next March.”

Source: Read Full Article