Europe

Royal POLL: Should Charles and Camilla’s trip to Athens be cancelled after holiday ban?

Prince Charles marks anniversary of UK lockdown with message

When you subscribe we will use the information you provide to send you these newsletters.Sometimes they’ll include recommendations for other related newsletters or services we offer.Our Privacy Notice explains more about how we use your data, and your rights.You can unsubscribe at any time.

During their trip, the Prince of Wales and his wife will attend a reception at the National Gallery of Greece that will be hosted by President Katerina Sakellaropoulou. The couple will also attend a wreath laying ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Syntagma Square, the central square of Athens. They are planning to watch a traditional Greek military parade as part of their royal tour too.

But their visit comes amid the Government preparing to issue £5,000 fines to Britons trying to travel abroad without a good reason.

New Covid laws could soon be brought in that state people cannot “leave England to travel to a destination outside the United Kingdom, or travel to, or be present at, an embarkation point for the purpose of travelling from there to a destination outside the United Kingdom” without a reasonable excuse.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson said today that the UK must be “very wary” of the potential for a third wave when asked how the Government is planning to stop the spread from Europe into the UK.

He told the Downing Street briefing: “On the European continent we are seeing distinct signs of a third wave and they’re taking steps to abate that, to deal with that.

“And we in the UK have very tough measures at our borders already.”

Government adviser Prof Neil Ferguson, of Imperial College London, explained border measures should be relaxed more slowly than domestic restrictions.

He told BBC Radio 4’s World at One: “I think conservatively, and being risk averse at the moment, I think we should be planning on summer holidays in the UK not overseas.”

The royals have been affected by travel restrictions over the last year as they were forced to put plans for royal tours abroad on hold last March.

At the time, Charles and Camilla were planning a visit to Bosnia, Cyprus and Jordan, but their trip was cancelled just days before they were due to fly.

The future king and queen last visited the Mediterranean country in 2018 when they went for a three day tour of the country.

The couple visited Athens and the Knossos site on the island of Crete.

The prince has a special connection to Greece as his father Prince Philip was born and raised there.

DON’T MISS
Prince Harry to use ‘unprecedented’ media tactic to pressure royals [INSIGHT]
Meghan and Harry admit they didn’t have two weddings – statement [REVEALED]
Meghan and Harry’s ‘staggering’ shot at Queen STILL online 396 days on [PICTURES]

He added and his connections to the country have “a particular resonance for me”.

Charles wrote in a Greek newspaper at the time: “It is the land of my grandfather.”

Last month, Clarence House confirmed that Charles and Camilla had received the first doses of their vaccines.

Camilla later said she was given was the Oxford-AstraZeneca jab.

The duchess told Dr John McGrath, a GP administering the jabs, it “didn’t matter” which vaccine she was given and that she did not ask because “I hate injections so much”.

She also agreed when he said: “We want to get this vaccine into the arms of everyone. No matter of race, colour or creed.

“And the way we do that is yes, you do it though your GP surgeries, your pharmacies, hospitals….but also through doing it in local communities..’

Camilla responded: “You need to get people in.”

International travel is already banned under most circumstances in the current lockdown.

MPs will vote on the new legislation, which is officially called the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (Steps) (England) Regulations 2021, on Thursday.

If approved, the rules would come into effect on Monday, March 29.

Source: Read Full Article