We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The Prince of Wales School in Dorchester will teach students about the tradition to celebrate and preserve its history. It comes after the Dorset Knob Throwing Festival was cancelled for a third year in a row after the village committee said it had become “too big to handle”.
The event involves competitors throwing a Dorset knob – a hard biscuit – as far as they can.
Headteacher Gary Spracklen said the school decided to step after children were left disappointed by the cancellation.
Mr Spracklen told ITV: “The Dorset knob biscuit is part of our local cultural heritage.
“It’s something to be celebrated and each year many of our children enjoy attending the Dorset Knob Throwing Festival.
“With the festival cancelled, for the third year in a row, we don’t want our children to miss out.
“That’s why we will be bringing Dorset knob throwing to the curriculum and hosting our very own Dorset knob throwing event for families here at The Prince of Wales School.”
Mr Spracklen also hinted at hosting a school version of the competition in future.
He added: “It would be great to see other schools locally embracing the Dorset knob and hosting their own throwing events.
“Perhaps we could set up a Dorset knob throwing schools league with home and away fixtures? I’d love to hear from any schools that would like to get involved”.
In 2019, the festival attracted over 8,000 people from across the UK.
But organisers have said that the event is now too large for the small village committee to run.
‘Early support hubs’ can break the wait cycle – TOM MADDERS [COMMENT]
Pupils starting secondary school with reading age of six [ANALYSIS]
Young people at breaking point – support is vital to protect children [INSIGHT]
The Knob Throwing and Frome Valley Food Festival was due to be held on May 1 2022.
The committee shared news of its cancellation in a Facebook post last week.
The post read: “It is with great sadness that the Dorset Knob Throwing and Frome Valley Food Festival is unable to go ahead on May 1 2022.
“We had over 8000 people attend the 2019 event, meaning it has reached such a size that it simply cannot be run by a small village committee.
“We’ve looked at various options but sadly couldn’t make any of them work for this year for many reasons.
“We also sadly lost the support of our event management team late in 2021 and agreements with Moores Biscuits to provide the biscuits for the event’s games also took much longer than anticipated. We hope the event can return in years to come.”
Source: Read Full Article