Sophie Wessex ‘a good news story’ says commentator
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The Countess of Wessex, 57, has become a much more well-known member of the Royal Family, with her latest round of travels garnering much more attention than before. However, the wife of the Queen’s youngest son, Prince Edward, reportedly “didn’t take any journalists with her” on previous trips to Rwanda. Speaking on the latest episode of True Royalty TV’s The Royal Beat, royal experts discussed Sophie’s PR strategy and the similarities to Princess Anne’s royal work approach.
Speaking on the episode, the Daily Mirror’s royal editor Russell Myers said that the 57-year-old has been “elevated in our minds”, particularly since we “have less people to focus on” now within the slimming down of the monarchy.
He noted that Sophie has been undertaking work “across Africa” for “many many years”.
Despite The Sunday Times’s royal editor Roya Nikkhah stating that the Palace are “pushing” for an elevation in Sophie’s profile, Mr Myers disagreed and mentioned a past trip where Sophie “didn’t take any journalists with her”.
He added: “You talk about Princess Anne, doing things under the radar and not really making a fuss, not doing for her own gain, almost, and Sophie’s taking a leaf out of that book.”
Royal photographer Arthur Edwards argued that Sophie would have taken a “photographer and a PA” but that “no one uses the pictures”.
Mr Edwards praised Prince Edward’s wife as being “such a wonderful person” noting he has “never understood” why Edward and Sophie are rarely published.
This month, the Countess has been on a solo royal tour to Botswana, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and Rwanda.
The Countess of Wessex was the first member of the Royal Family to visit the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Sophie Wessex visits Democratic Republic of the Congo
The trip that had been planned for many months before the death of the Queen.
During the trip, Sophie addressed a cause close to her heart which is the impact of sexual and gender-based violence in conflict.
Recently speaking to Palace Confidential, Daily Mail’s royal editor Rebecca English discussed why Anne is given less coverage than other royals.
Ms English said: “These trips are actually never announced in advance, we only ever find out about them when they happen.”
She continued: “They are, indeed, very under the radar”, adding that that is “the way [Anne] likes it”.
Archie and Lilibet ‘not going to get titles’, says expert [INSIGHT]
Prince Harry warned royal demands on William ‘won’t work’ [ANALYSIS]
Prince William ‘almost in tears’ over Prince Harry questioning brother [VIDEO]
Sophie married Edward in 1999 and the couple shares two children, 18-year-old daughter Lady Louise Windsor and 14-year-old son James, Viscount Severn.
Sophie has previously addressed her decision to not bring her children up as a Prince and Princess.
Speaking to The Sunday Times, Sophie said: “We try to bring them up with the understanding they are very likely to have to work for a living.”
- King Charles III will be ‘ruthless’ if Harry and Meghan continue ‘unfair attacks’
- King Charles ‘ready to ban’ Harry and Meghan from coronation, new claim
- Queen Mother would not approve of Camilla’s break in royal tradition—’Not a great idea’
- Prince William enraged by The Crown’s showing of ‘all-out war’ between Charles and Diana
- The Crown sparks outrage over plans to re-enact Princess Diana’s final days before crash
Source: Read Full Article