Europe

Sussexes’s series ‘blown up’ as Firm braced for new episodes

Harry & Meghan: Explosive trailer for Netflix documentary

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Speaking exclusively to express.co.uk, Pauline MacLaran, professor of marketing and consumer research at Royal Holloway, University of London claimed the first instalment has, so far, been “blown up out of proportion” to its previously promised “explosive” claims. After claiming she has watched the first three episodes, Ms MacLaran added: “My opinion is that there are not particularly explosive things in these and that the trailer has been somewhat hyped up.”

She added: “In fact, the trailer has been a typical “teaser” campaign, arousing lots of interest on the basis of expected revelations.”

She claimed that this is the “netflixisation” process, in order to “make sure there is a big audience”.

Speaking of the episodes, she added: “[What] we seem to have is quite touching insights into both Harry and Meghan’s background and, as suggested, their love story.”

The professor claimed that many of the couple’s criticisms were “saved for the tabloid press”.

She added: “As far as any royal criticisms, there are a few innuendoes – like the treatment of Meghan by the press was viewed as a rite of passage and there was little support – but nothing that we don’t know already.

“Certainly, I don’t think there is much so far, that will give the royals more cause for concern than they already have and they may even be a little relieved.”

She noted that the series will potentially “fill in quite a lot about the personalities and backgrounds of Harry and Meghan”, which will effectively appeal to a younger audience.

Ms MacLaran said: “The referrals to the unconscious bias in the royal household is probably the most controversial aspect so far but Harry explains is well and without malice – also referring to his own mistakes.”

Meghan and Harry 'had series in mind already' says former aide

She concluded: “Overall I think the potentially damaging side of this documentary has so far been blown up out of proportion to its contents. However, the next three episodes may be different!”

The final three episodes will be released on December 15.

Along with the release of the full trailer on Monday, the streaming service revealed that the six-part series would be released in two parts, Volume I and Volume II.

DON’T MISS

Filmmakers furious over ‘fake’ footage used in Harry & Meghan trailers [LIVE] 
Does the Royal Family have a place in modern Britain? YOU VOTED [REVEAL] 
POLL: Will you be watching Harry & Meghan on Netflix? [VOTE]

The docu-series is the first production released as part of the couple’s multi-million dollar deal with Netflix.

Following their royal exit in early 2020, Meghan and Harry signed the deal after revealing their wish to “work to become financially independent”.

Aside from the docu-series, Prince Harry is set to release his bombshell memoir in January.

READ NEXT:

  • Harry and Meghan are aiming to ‘cause irreparable damage’ to monarchy, claims Piers Morgan
  • Prince Harry and Meghan Markle snubbed by celebrity friends in Netflix miniseries
  • Kate and William won’t respond as Meghan and Harry ‘air dirty laundry’ in Netflix series
  • King Charles has one ‘drastic’ ace up his sleeve to use against Prince Harry and Meghan
  • Meghan and Harry say honour just the ‘beginning’ and vow fresh action

Source: Read Full Article