A mum discovered a strange ‘blister’ on a banana from Waitrose, only to realise it was a nest of tiny spiders.
Michelle, from Edinburgh, bought the pack of fruit, which had been wrapped up in plastic, from her local supermarket last Monday.
She called her husband Martin who rushed over to examine the blister together.
Martin then poked at it with a fork in the sink before hundreds of baby spiders billowed out.
She told Edinburgh Live she fear the spiders were Brazilian Wandering Spiders.
‘When I looked online to see what they might be, it was all horror stories sounding frightening,’ she said.
‘I’m unsure if these were harmful or not but they have put me off buying bananas for now. I’ve had a dream that the mother was in the pack and escaped. Afterwards I felt itchy all over.
‘I’m so glad that I took the bananas out of the plastic, if I had left them in and my son had opened it the next day I have no doubt that all those spiders would have hatched and went everywhere – which doesn’t bare thinking about.’
When the couple discovered the spiders, Michelle phoned the customer service and said the young man was very polite but had not heard of an incident like this before.
She then chucked the fruit away and poured bleach and hot water down the sink to kill the spiders.
Since sharing her experience, Michelle’s friends suggested she should have put the bananas in the fridge to kill the spiders, while another reassured her the spiders were not venomous.
Either way, she has decided not to have bananas in her house for a while or visit the Waitrose store.
A Waitrose spokesperson said: ‘We’re so sorry to hear about this incident happening and we’re urgently investigating this with our supplier to make sure that this doesn’t happen again.’
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected]
For more stories like this, check our news page.
Source: Read Full Article