Europe

William swift action on Lady Susan shows King ‘has different attitude’

King trying to show 'a different attitude' amid royal race row

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Prince William’s swift action over problematic comments made by his godmother Lady Susan towards a British woman earlier this week highlight the “different attitude” of the monarchy under King Charles III, a royal commentator has said.

Richard Palmer, the royal editor for the Daily Express, said he didn’t believe Lady Susan would have been made to resign if the Queen had still been on the throne and that the practice of “never explain, never complain” could have been employed instead. He suggested that under Charles, the Royal Family appears to have adopted a new policy of “tackling things head on rather than letting them fester”. 

Mr Palmer said: “The Palace reacted pretty quickly, I have to say. There was a fair bit of nudging going on: ‘Are you going to say something about this or is it just Buckingham Palace decline to comment’. 

“And then suddenly there was a statement on the way and that was it, [Lady Susan] was out. She resigned. Prince William then obviously decided that he needed to address it. 

“I mean, I think it is quite interesting that there is a new style at Kensington Palace where they are trying to address these things head on rather than letting them fester.” 

Asked if he thought that was a “different style to that of the late Queen”, Mr Palmer said: “Oh, definitely. 

“I think obviously you cannot know for sure but I would have been very surprised if the Queen was still on the throne if Lady Susan would have resigned as a result of that. 

“I think she would have kept on, and I think there would have been either a never explain, never complain [philosophy employed] or possibly some sort of statement apologising for any misunderstanding.I think, now, the King has a different attitude.” 

Following the incident on Tuesday during a major gathering hosted by the Queen Consort to highlight violence against women and girls, both Buckingham Palace and Kensington Palace were quick to react. 

Buckingham Palace, though refraining from using Lady Susan’s name, announced her resignation and described the comments as “unacceptable and deeply regrettable”. 

Lady Susan, who served as the late Queen’s lady in waiting for more than 60 years, resigned from her honorary role as one of three Ladies of the Household. 

Kensington Palace, prior to the Prince and Princess of Wales’s first engagement in Boston, said: “This is a matter for Buckingham Palace, but as the Prince of Wales’ spokesperson I appreciate you’re all here and that you’ll want to ask about it. So let me address this head on.

“I was really disappointed to hear about the guest’s experience at Buckingham Palace last night. Obviously, I wasn’t there, but racism has no place in our society.

“The comments were unacceptable, and it is right that the individual has stepped aside with immediate effect.”

DON’T MISS: Lady Susan Hussey offers to personally meet Ngozi Fulani [REVEAL] 
Buckingham Palace had ‘direct discussion’ with Ngozi Fulani [REPORT] 
Jennie Bond brands royal race row ‘absolute disaster’ for Royal Family [INSIGHT] 

Professor Pauline MacLaran, co-author of ‘Royal Fever: The British Monarchy in Consumer Culture‘ echoed Mr Palmer’s comments, arguing that the rapidity of the Prince of Wales’ response will be “very much in his favour”. 

She said: “Overall, the fact that William has been quick to distance himself even though she is his godmother will very much be in his favour and I think the strong approval ratings of William and Kate will rise above this latest scandal.”

Meanwhile, the Prince and Princess of Wales have been pictured behind the scenes during rehearsals for the Earthshot Prize being staged in the US city of Boston.

William’s environmental awards will see singer Billie Eilish lead a stellar entertainment line-up during a ceremony – dubbed the prince’s “world cup” moment – that aims to celebrate and scale up environmental solutions to repair the planet.

Ahead of the event being staged on Friday evening at the MGM Music Hall at Fenway, the prince is due to meet US President Joe Biden.

READ NEXT: Rishi Sunak breaks silence on Buckingham Palace racism row
Royal racism row feeds into Harry and Meghan’s damning ‘narrative’ 
Does the Royal Family have a place in modern Britain?
Just as we were warming to Megs and Harry comes grubby Netflix trailer
William tipped to remain silent after statement on royal racism row

Source: Read Full Article