FilmLA Says Film Permit Applications “Declined Significantly” In December
On-location filming in Los Angeles has hit record lows in the last weeks of December as the coronavirus pandemic surges across Southern California. FilmLA, the city and county film permit office, said Wednesday that its preliminary data reveals that applications for filming permits “declined significantly in the month of December, and last week, to lows we have not seen since the weeks after the restart of production last summer.”
It will be the second consecutive month of declining permit requests since June, when filming resumed under strict safety protocols.
With cases of Covid-19 spiking across the city, the Los Angeles Department of Public Health last week urged film and TV productions to “strongly consider pausing work for a few weeks during this catastrophic surge in Covid cases.”
Last night, SAG-AFTRA leaders told their members that “most entertainment productions will remain on hiatus until the second or third week of January, if not later.”
In a preview of December’s permit activity, FilmLA said today that “The local film industry is highly invested in efforts to control Covid-19, as demonstrated by the strict safety protocols and testing that all productions are subject to. Receptive to the guidance of County public health experts, the industry also responsibly began dialing back activity considerably, beginning earlier in December.”
Read More About:
Verizon And Hearst Television Reach Deal To Avoid Fios Blackouts
Verizon and Hearst Television struck a deal overnight that will keep nine Hearst owned-and-operated stations including in Baltimore, Pittsburgh and the Boston area from going dark on Verizon Fios systems. No details were disclosed Friday on the new retransmission contract, which replaces the old one that was set to expire December 31.
A Verizon spokesperson confirmed the deal to Deadline today after media outlets reported the company sent a note to subscribers saying the deal was done.
Hearst stations in Fios’ lineup include WBAL-NBC in Baltimore, WGAL-NBC in Harrisburg, PA, WTAE-ABC in Pittsburgh, and WCVB-ABC and WMUR-ABC in Boston/Manchester. The station lineup also provides content from MeTV and Cozi TV.
Verizon, the nation’s sixth-largest operator, warned customers earlier this week that a blackout was possible, saying Hearst was demanding a 45% increase that would force customers’ monthly bills to go up.
Hearst owns and operates TV and radio stations in 26 markets in 39 states, reaching a total of 21 million U.S. television households.
Verizon on Friday also said a retrans agreement with Gray Television expired as of December 31, with two stations in Richmond, VA — WWBT-NBC and WUVP-CW — impacted.
Read More About:
Pro-Trump Lawyer Mocked For Claiming Mike Pence Guilty Of Treason
A lawyer who has failed in his attempts to overturn the election of President-elect Joe Biden was mocked on New Year’s Day after arguing that Vice President Mike Pence would be executed for treason.
L. Lin Wood made the prediction in a post Friday on Twitter, part of a bizarre series of tweets falsely claiming that high-ranking Republicans such as Pence, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Chief Justice John Roberts conspired to deny Trump a second term.
In his fact-free tweets, Wood predicted that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo would “save the election” and Pence would be jailed for treason and later “sing like a bird” to avoid execution.
RawStory pointed out that Wood never actually explained why he thinks Pence is guilty of treason.
The wacko tweets were on brand for Wood, who earlier in the week falsely claimed that convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein is still alive despite his death in custody.
Many Twitter users mocked Wood for bringing the cray-cray.
Some wondered if Wood’s tweets were a cry for help.
Wood insisted he was perfectly fine.
Iran Plans to Enrich Uranium to Up to 20% at Fordow Site: Reuters
Iran told the United Nations nuclear watchdog that it plans to enrich uranium to up to 20% purity at its Fordow site, Reutersreported, citing a statement from theInternational Atomic Energy Agency.
- “Iran has informed the Agency that in order to comply with a legal act recently passed by the country’s parliament, the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran intends to produce low-enriched uranium (LEU) up to 20 percent at the Fordow Fuel Enrichment Plant,” the IAEA said in the statement
- NOTE: Dec. 14, Rouhani Urges Biden: RejoinNuclear Deal and Iran Will, Too
Adobe Flash Player discontinued after over 20 years on the internet
ADOBE Flash Player, the browser plug-in behind countless animations on the internet, has finally been discontinued.
It was the fastest and simplest way to stream video and play games in the early days of the dial-up internet.
But its use has declined steeply as it became plagued with security problems.
Its fate was sealed as it failed to keep pace with the switch to mobile technology and Apple refused to use it.
Customers will no longer receive security updates or support for Adobe Flash Player on Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11.
Adobe has told users to uninstall Flash Player, which launched in 1996.
In a farewell post, it said: “We are proud that Flash had a crucial role in evolving web content across animation, interactivity, audio, and video.”
Apple co-founder Steve Jobs wrote a critical open letter in April 2010 – called Thoughts On Flash – detailing why it would not be allowed to run on products such as iPhones and iPads.
He said Flash did not suit touchscreens and he cited security, battery life and user experience as other issues.
By 2015 Google’s Chrome had started blocking some pieces of its content.
GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]