Life

Hunt for woman who spat at bus passenger in row over mask

Herald morning quiz: March 7

Test your brains with the Herald’s afternoon quiz. Be sure to check back on nzherald.co.nz for the morning quiz tomorrow.

To challenge yourself with more quizzes, CLICK HERE.

Downing Street spends £2,6000,000 on refurbs to hold White House-style briefings



Arco To Buy COC And Dom Bosco Learning Systems For R$920 Mln Cash

Arco Platform Ltd (ARCE) announced that it has agreed with Pearson Education do Brasil Ltda. to acquire COC and Dom Bosco, two important K-12 learning systems in Brazil, for R$920 million in cash.

Pursuant to the deal terms, 80% of the purchase price payable at the time of closing, and the remaining 20% payable on the first anniversary of the closing date, as adjusted. The transaction also includes an agreement with Pearson to distribute some supplemental educational solutions for K-12 schools in Brazil.

This transaction is not subject to any shareholder approvals, but is subject to customary closing conditions, including Brazilian antitrust approvals.

COC and Dom Bosco have over 50 years of academic track record in Brazil, serving over 800 partner schools and around 210 thousand students in all regions of the country, from pre-K to high school and pre-university. The brands have a strong presence in the Southeast region of Brazil, especially in the state of Sao Paulo.

Arco expects to accelerate the growth of COC and Dom Bosco by updating their content and technology, improving distribution and customer service capabilities, as well as cross-sell supplemental solutions within the COC and Dom Bosco partner school base.

One man is dead and another is in critical condition after Denver shooting Saturday

One man is dead and another walked into a local hospital after they were both shot early Saturday morning in Denver’s Green Valley Ranch neighborhood, police said.

The shootings happened in the 4700 block of Argonne Street, police said in a 2:25 a.m. Twitter post.

Just before 10 a.m., police said one man had died and a second man who was shot went to a local hospital where he is in critical condition.

Police did not release information on a suspect in the shootings. Anyone with information on the incident is asked to call Metro Denver Crime Stoppers at 720-913-7867 (STOP).

 

Football: Conmebol suspends March World Cup qualifiers due to pandemic

SAO PAULO (REUTERS) – The South American Football Confederation (Conmebol) has decided to suspend this month’s double header of World Cup qualifiers for Qatar 2022 amid concern over the Covid-19 pandemic and quarantine restrictions.

The 10 South American teams were due to play two games on March 25/26 and March 30 but Conmebol acknowledged tightening lockdown and quarantine regulations mean many of the European-based players will be unable to travel.

Join ST’s Telegram channel here and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.

Palace staff nicknamed Prince Harry 'the hostage', insiders claim



Pedestrian killed in hit-and-run in Denver on Friday night

A pedestrian was hit and killed by a vehicle on Friday night in Denver and the driver fled the scene, police said.

The incident happened at Morrison Road and West Kentucky Avenue in the Westwood neighborhood, police said in a 9:40 p.m. Twitter post. The pedestrian died at the scene.

Police issued a Medina Alert in the case and investigators are looking for a gold-colored Dodge Durango, Texas license plate 98376X3. Police are also looking for a white Nissan Murano with heavy front end damage.

Anyone with information on the incident is asked to call Metro Denver Crime Stoppers at 720-913-7867 (STOP).

Moderna To Supply 13 Mln Doses Of COVID-19 Vaccine To The Philippines

Moderna, Inc. (MRNA) announced that it has supply agreement with the Government of The Philippines for 13 million doses of the COVID-19 Vaccine Moderna.

As per the terms of deal, deliveries would begin in mid-2021.

The COVID-19 Vaccine Moderna is not currently approved for use in the Philippines. But the Company will work with regulators to pursue necessary approvals prior to distribution, the company said in a statement.

The company also stated that the separate agreement with the Philippine Government and private sector for the supply of an additional 7 million doses is also anticipated.

“We thank the Government and the private sector for their collaboration to bring the COVID-19 Vaccine Moderna to the Philippines,” said Stphane Bancel, Chief Executive Officer of Moderna.

“We appreciate the confidence in Moderna, and our mRNA platform demonstrated by the Government of the Philippines. We remain committed to making our vaccine available on every continent to help end this global pandemic.”

Hunt for woman who spat at bus passenger in row over mask