World News

Awkward moment ‘Meghan tried to get better Jubilee seat but Queen said no’

Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

We have more newsletters

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle were not happy with their allocated seats at a service of thanksgiving at St Paul's Cathedral as part of the Paltinum Jubilee celebrations, and tried to sit closer to more senior members of the family.

However, this request was blocked by none other than the Queen, according to author Tom Bower, writing in the new book Revenge: Meghan, Harry and the War Between the Windsors.

They were sat next to fellow non-working royal Eugenie and her husband Jack Brooksbank, but their seats were not close to Prince Charles and Camilla or Prince William and his wife Kate.

READ MORE: Prince Charles' annual earnings and net worth as he visits Scottish foodbank

Speaking on an upcoming episode of the Mirror's Pod Save the Queen podcast, Mr Bower claimed: "I was told, unfortunately too late for the book, they were meant to turn up at Wellington Barracks to get on the coach which was set up for the minor royals to go to St Paul's for the Jubilee service.

"They arrived deliberately late so the bus had gone and they could make a grand entrance from a car so they could be seen on the steps, which Netflix obviously needed.

"And then as they walked down the aisle, they get to the seats in the row they are assigned and I'm told they then asked six other people sitting this side of the aisle could they move down so they could sit on the aisle itself.

"And the usher apparently said to them 'you can't, you're sitting in seats eight or nine' or whatever it was and Harry said 'why?'

"And the usher said 'that's what your grandmother ordered'. I'm told that from a military man."

For more shocking stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here

After the service, the Sussexes skipped a lunch at the Guildhall and they also did not attend the star-studded Party at the Palace on the Saturday night nor the Jubilee Pageant on the Sunday.

Fellow expert and royal editor of Vanity Fair, Katie Nicholl added that she believes Harry and Meghan decided not to be more visible in the Jubilee celebrations because they knew they wouldn’t be in the front row – especially at the Jubilee Pageant.

She previously told True Royalty TV's The Royal Beat show: “I honestly think it’s [because]…. they knew that they wouldn’t be in that front row. And why did they leave the Royal Family?

"They left because they weren’t in the front row. I believe that’s why they weren't at the other celebrations as they did not have centre stage seats.”

READ MORE:

  • Prince Charles 'upset' over Prince George birthday party plans after lack of involvement

  • Kate Middleton worked hard on 'every girl' image due to Princess Diana, says expert

  • Unearthed snap of William with Diana aged 9 proves Prince George is dad's 'twin'

  • Keep up with all the royal family news on the Daily Star's website

  • Royal Family

Source: Read Full Article