World News

Darrell Brooks' 'traumatized' mom called 911 after seeing SUV on TV and 'doesn't know why suspect son did it'

THE "traumatized" mom of the Waukesha parade suspect called 911 when she saw her red Ford truck on TV news reports as it plowing through crowds, The Sun can reveal.

Darrell Brooks' mom broke her silence and made her first statement through a family spokesperson in an exclusive interview with The Sun Tuesday evening, just hours after her son was officially charged with five counts of intentional homicide.

"She talked to him before he went to Waukesha and doesn't know why he did this and doesn't condone his actions," family spokesperson Frank Nitty told The Sun.

"I spoke to her for hours. She's traumatized and hurt and wants each victim of her her's actions to know that her thoughts and prayers are with them."

Nitty said Brooks' mom is expected to say more on Wednesday or later this week.

Brooks, 39, is accused of speeding through a crowded Christmas parade on Sunday and killing six people and injuring about 60 more.

The sixth victim's death was made public during Tuesday's court appearance.

Jackson Sparks, eight, succumbed to his injuries Monday.

The boy had undergone brain surgery and the family was hoping for a miracle, according to a GoFundMe set up for the family.

Jackson's 12-year-old brother Tucker is still hospitalized and recovering from a fractured skull, but is expected to recover.

Follow our Waukesha holiday parade live blog for the very latest news and updates…

Prosecutors said a sixth count of homicide will be added Friday or early next week, and other charges could be added.

Each count carries a maximum of life in prison, so if he's convicted, Brooks could serve five or six consecutive life sentences.

Bail was set at $5 million.

The other five victims have been named as Virginia Sorensen, 79, LeAnna Owen, 71, Tamara Durand, 52, Jane Kuilch, 52, and Wilhelm Hospel, 81.

According to the Waukesha medical examiner, all the victims died from blunt force trauma.


"I've been in law for 40 years," the judge said during the arraignment. "I've never seen anything like this."

Several victims' family members crowded the court room, and few Waukesha residents lined up outside the courthouse.

But noticeably absent was anyone from Brooks' family.

Brooks kept his head low throughout the entire arraignment.

He appeared to sob as the judge told him he could face life in prison for each charge and the emotions seemed to pour over him again when the judge set bail.


Before the court appearance, Christine B., who wished no to give her last name, stood outside the courthouse with a sign saying, “Stop letting violent criminals go free.”

Through tears, the 36-year Waukesha County resident told The Sun, “People are suffering. Kids are dying. One life is to many to lose. It has to stop.”

A family of one of the victims walked through the cameras holding a large picture of the victim in a hospital bed and hooked up to machines in the hospital.

Inside the courthouse, security was tight. Two heavily armed officers from Waukesha county sheriff's office were dressed in tactical gear and holding long guns.

The staircase and second floor were filled with police and reporters from around the country.


Brooks has a lengthy rapsheet that spans two decades and three states.

Before Monday's arrest for allegedly sped through the parade, Brooks was out on $1,000 bond after allegedly punching and attempting to run over his ex-girlfriend at a Milwaukee gas station a couple weeks earlier.

Some of Brooks' neighbors described the 39-year-old as odd, strange and suggested he must have "snapped" before allegedly carrying out the horrific parade attack.

One of Brooks' neighbors, who asked not to be identified, told The Sun that the 39-year-old "was always a little off."

"I didn't know him more than 'hi and bye' but I remember seeing that red truck parked there," they said.

Brooks is also a registered sex offender in Nevada, having been convicted of having consensual sex with a 15-year-old girl in 2006, with whom he had a child. For that offense, he severed three years probation.

A warrant was outstanding for his arrest in Nevada at the time of Sunday's attack for violating the state's sex crime laws in 2016. He allegedly skipped bail on the offense and fled the region.

Despite being detained in Wisconsin twice after that, Brooks managed to avoid being turned over to authorities in Nevada and obtained freedom on both occasions.

We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The US Sun team?

Email us at [email protected] or call 212 416 4552.

Like us on Facebook at and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSunUS

    Source: Read Full Article