World News

Elon Musk has four-word response to Twitter’s plans to sue him

Don’t miss a thing! Sign up to the Daily Star’s newsletter

Elon Musk gave a quick response after it was announced Twitter planned to sue him as he planned to back out of the proposed $44billion (37bn).

The mogul had been set to take over the social media platform for a whopping but pulled out on Friday (8 July).

But after the social media giant announced legal action against the entrepreneur following his withdrawal from the deal, Musk took to the platform to let his feelings be known.

READ MORE: Twitter staff say firm is a 's**t show' after Musk 'trashes company and walks away'

"Oh the irony lol," Musk cryptically tweeted in response to the reported lawsuit.

This isn't the first time Musk has responded to the legal battle; on Monday (July 11), he hit back with a meme posted to the social media site featuring four images of him laughing hysterically.

Musk's proposed Twitter takeover was controversial from the off.

The billionaire claimed he planned to reduce moderation on the platform in an effort to promote free speech, as well as to rid the social media sites of fake profiles and bots.

However, critics suggested the takeover would be dangerous at such a politically polarised time, and that the multi-billion dollar merger was for Musk's personal interests rather than the good of Twitter users.

Musk, the world's richest man, ultimately pulled out of the major deal when he claimed he had not been properly informed about the number of fake and spam accounts on the platform, which he said amounted to a "material adverse event".

Twitter has since asked a Delaware court to order the Tesla founder to follow through with the sale at the agreed price, equating to $54.20 (£43.40) per Twitter share, saying it was "committed to closing the transaction on the price and terms agreed upon with Mr Musk".

The lawsuit said: "Having mounted a public spectacle to put Twitter in play, and having proposed and then signed a seller-friendly merger agreement, Musk apparently believes that he – unlike every other party subject to Delaware contract law – is free to change his mind, trash the company, disrupt its operations, destroy stockholder value, and walk away."

Musk has since tweeted several times, seemingly ignoring the legal action against him.

Just four hours after his first tweet, the billionaire said: "Excited about @NASAWebb potential!".

He also shared a video with his 100m followers of the SpaceX Starship launch site, in preparation for a planned launch tonight – despite a major setback yesterday.

Video captured on Monday (July 11) showed part of the Tesla billionaire's SpaceX Starship appearing to explode at its launch facility in Texas.

Responding to the video on Twitter, Musk said: "Yeah, actually not good. Team is assessing the damage."

Tweeting today to reassure his supporters, Musk shared: "Was just up in the booster propulsion section. Damage appears to be minor, but we need to inspect all the engines. Best to do this in the high bay."

READ NEXT:

  • Russia unveils terrifying new missile as Putin's pal issues threat to West

  • Elon Musk hits back at Donald Trump 'bulls***' claim over Twitter deal

  • NASA plan to land 'nukes on the Moon' to power colony could blow up in their faces

  • Chilling CCTV shows moment baggage handler stole plane before killing himself in crash

  • Inside Elon Musk's plush bolt hole where billionaire reportedly lives with new twins

  • Elon Musk
  • Twitter

Source: Read Full Article