World News

Labrador spend Christmas in emergency vets after eating ‘toxic’ festive treat

Join the Secret Elves to get first access to our exclusive reviews of the must-have products this year.

A couple has warned against leaving mince pies out after their naughty Labrador spent Christmas with an emergency vet after eating five.

Paul, 49 and Debbie Walker, 47, left the house to buy some tin foil for their turkey when pooch Archie devoured the popular festive snacks from the kitchen counter.

But raisins and currants are highly toxic to dogs and even just a handful can cause potentially fatal poisoning and organ failure.

So his owners from Helensburgh, Argyll and Bute, immediately called the emergency vet for help.

Two-year-old Archie and gave him an injection to induce vomiting to clear out his stomach.

The couple said they are hoping for a less dramatic Christmas this year – as Vets Now issued a warning against leaving mince pies out.

The Vets Now emergency team see more than a 1000 per cent rise in cases involving stolen mince pies on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Debbie said: “We’re hoping for a more peaceful and less dramatic Christmas this year. As soon as we got back home, I noticed five mince pies were missing and Archie looked sheepish.

“We still have no idea how he managed to reach them from that height. It’s been many years since he’s stolen food, so clearly, the mince pies smelt as good to Archie as they did to us.

  • Prince Harry 'making financial point with ripped jeans', jokes royal expert

“Archie was his usual bouncy happy self and there didn’t seem to be anything wrong with him — but Archie is such an important part of our family that we just couldn’t take any risks.

“They took blood samples and monitored him continually before advising us he should stay in overnight for observation.

“It was Christmas Day by the time we got home and clearly an emergency trip to the vets had been the last thing we were planning for Christmas Eve.

Love dogs?

Join our brand new sister website TeamDogs today!

It's a place where you can share a picture of your dog in our Top Dogs feed and share your doggy advice.

“But it was really important for us to have that peace of mind that he was getting the right care.

“Archie ended up staying in until Boxing Day and we were delighted to get the call to collect him, totally healthy and well thanks to the team at Vets Now.”

The Vets Now emergency teams see more than a 1000 per cent rise in cases involving stolen mince pies on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

  • Inside abandoned spaceship rooftop bar with a ceiling that looks like a flying saucer

Stay in the loop with all the latest Daily Star news by signing up for one of our free newsletters here.

Emergency vet for Vets Now Dave Hollinshead said: “Our vets and vet nurses treated dozens of dogs last year who had eaten mince pies left out for Santa and we are expecting similar this year.

“That’s why it’s important to raise awareness that the raisins in mince pies can be toxic to dogs.

“If your dog gets hold of a mince pie, Christmas cake, Christmas pudding or anything else with raisins and grapes please don’t delay in getting them checked over by a vet.”

  • Christmas
  • Family

Source: Read Full Article