A MUM has revealed her heartbreak after her 20-year-old son drank a bottle of vodka and died.
Mikey Cunniffe died after drinking with his housemates as they watched YouTube videos in October last year.
Despite his best friend’s efforts to save him, he fell asleep and never woke up again, as a coroner later determined he had died through alcohol poisoning.
Mikey's mum Chrisie Yates has shared a devastating warning to other young people after losing her son – who she said barely drank.
The heartbroken mum said: "He was loving life. He had a good night with his friends. He didn’t wake up, but he was in no pain.
“He had a good head on his shoulders. He was very bright and he had the world at his feet. He was really generous and kind.
“He did more in his 20 years of live than most people do in 70. “He was my blue eyed boy.”
As well as being a second-year mechanical engineering student at Manchester Metropolitan University, he was in a band with his friends from home having taught himself to play the guitar at 15.
He also learnt how to speak Spanish and Italian, and enjoyed mixed martial arts and salsa dancing.
Chrisie said: "He was loving life. He had a good night with his friends. He didn't wake up, but he was in no pain."
"He had a good head on his shoulders. He was very bright and he had the world at his feet. He was really generous and kind.
"He did more in his 20 years of live than most people do in 70," she added. "He was my blue eyed boy."
On Sunday, July 4, Mikey's step-mum, Amanda Cunniffe, took part in a cycle ride from Manchester to Blackpoole in Mikey's memory.
She completed the 63-mile journey with her best friend, Kerry Cain, having both got into cycling during lockdown.
Wanting to also raise awareness of the risks of alcohol, Amanda completed the cycle in support of The Compassionate Friends charity, raising more than £1,000 so far.
The charity supports bereaved family members who have suffered the death of a child or children of any age from any cause.
Source: Read Full Article