NOTTINGHAM'S Tier 3 lockdown is set to be confirmed TODAY and the whole county is on the brink of tougher rules.
Hospitals in the area have been forced to cancel operations and infection rates across the region are spiralling out of control.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
The restrictions could come into force as soon as a minute past midnight on Friday.
They were previously set to come in tomorrow.
The Sun understands an announcement on Nottingham moving to Tier 3 will be made this afternoon.
It is expected around 700,000 people in Nottingham, Broxtowe, Gedling, and Rushcliffe will be given the harshest rules.
But this could also be extended to Ashfield, Bassetlaw, Mansfield and Newark and Sherwood, meaning a total of 828,000 people will have tougher restrictions.
Infection rates in Bassetlaw have almost doubled in a single week, from 178.8 cases per 100,000 last week to 316 this week.
And in Ashfield, the number of coronavirus cases hit 326 per 100,000, up from 211 last week.
Local MPs had a meeting with Government ministers and health experts this morning.
And Mansfield MP Ben Bradley said there is a "real risk" north Nottinghamshire will be moved into Tier 3.
He said: "Sadly in the week since talks commenced about Tier 3 restrictions in Notts, based on the city and surrounding area, there's been a big spike in North Notts."
And Ashfield MP Lee Anderson said he expects the whole county to be given the tough lockdown measures.
He said: "I have been on the phonelast night and this morning to senior Government officials and other MPs.
"I will be totally honest with you in that I expect the whole of Notts to be put into Tier 3.
"That is something I strongly opposed but the latest figures are hard to argue against."
All bars and pubs would have to close unless they can serve food.
And households will not be allowed to mix indoors, in gardens or in outdoor beer gardens.
Adult gaming centres, betting shops, casinos and kids soft play areas could also have to shut again.
Deputy leader of Broxtowe Borough Council said the Government called local leaders to say it was having a "rethink" over Tier 3 agreements just 20 minutes after the authority published the terms on its website.
Councillor Steve Carr said the terms for a Tier 3 lockdown for Nottingham, Broxtowe, Gedling and Rushcliffe were withdrawn as infection rates across the country jumped.
Mr Carr said information on new restrictions was published at 7.30pm last night – but was forced to take it down 20 minutes later.
Nottingham hospital bosses have been forced to cancel some cancer surgeries because of "pressure on intensive care units".
Nottingham University Hospitals NHS Trust medical director Keith Girling said the trust had taken the "extremely difficult decision" to delay four cancer operations this week.
Source: Read Full Article