World News

Pub-goers rushed to hospital after gas burner explodes in beer garden

Three pub-goers are rushed to hospital with serious burns after camping stove EXPLODES in beer garden

  • Camping stove exploded at the  King’s Head pub in Great Cornard near Sudbury
  • Pub’s neighbours reported hearing screams as the burner exploded in a fireball
  • Three people, who had been drinking there, were taken to hospital after incident
  • One woman said to have been flown by air ambulance to specialist burns unit
  • Pub bosses today say they are ‘working closely with the police and authorities’
  • Police are today investigating the incident and have taped off an area of the pub 

Two women and a man were taken to hospital when a camping stove exploded in a pub garden while apparently being used as a heater by customers. 

Neighbours reported hearing screams as the stove exploded in a fireball at an outside table at the King’s Head pub in Great Cornard near Sudbury, Suffolk.

The gas-fuelled burner is said to have been taken to the pub garden by drinkers to keep themselves warm and was being used without the permission of the landlady. 

All three victims who had been drinking at the pub and were aged in their early 20s are said to have suffered serious burns just before 10pm on Saturday night.

One woman is believed to have been flown to a specialist burns unit by an air ambulance after it landed at a local community centre which is currently being used as a rapid Covid testing site.

Two women and a man were taken to hospital when a camping stove exploded in a pub garden while apparently being used as a heater by customers. Pictured: Police at the scene today

Neighbours reported hearing screams as the stove exploded in a fireball at an outside table at the 16th century King’s Head pub in Great Cornard near Sudbury, Suffolk (pictured)

The other woman and a man are thought to have been taken to hospital by road ambulance. Suffolk Police have not yet made any comment about their condition.

It is not known if they were the same customers who had brought along the stove to use as an unofficial heater during the chilly evening.

Police forensic officers were today carrying out an investigation in the garden of the 16th century pub.

The pub garden remained cordoned off with blue and white police tape earlier today.

Officers were seen examining two coats which were left at the scene and appeared to be burned.

Ice buckets for drinks and several blankets being used by customers to keep themselves warm were also seen abandoned next to tables.

IT consultant John Collings, 41, who lives next door said: ‘I was watching a film when I heard a woman screaming loudly at around 10pm before hearing ambulances and police arrive.

‘Before that there was just the general pub noise of people enjoying themselves in the garden. There had earlier been live music playing between around 5pm and 7pm

Police forensic officers were today carrying out an investigation in the pub garden which remained cordoned off with blue and white police tape (pictured)

Officers were seen examining coats which were left at the scene and appeared to be burned. Pictured: Police at the scene

‘I went out at about 11.30pm and saw blue lights were still flashing and spotlights had been set up by police.

‘There were people hanging around and the police were telling them to move on. I also saw a helicopter with a searchlight. It was flying around doing a couple of sweeps of the area.

‘The pub has been very busy since it reopened after lockdown, particularly on Friday and Saturday night.’

The manager of the pub said: ‘I don’t want to say much. We are obviously concerned for the people who were injured.

‘But the stove that exploded was something that someone had brought in. We did not know anything about it.’

King’s Head landlady Sarah Bond said in a statement on the pub’s Facebook page: ‘We’re closed today following an incident last night.

King’s Head landlady Sarah Bond said in a statement on the pub’s Facebook page: ‘We’re closed today following an incident last night. Pictured: Police at the scene

‘We’re working closely with the police and authorities. Our thoughts and prayers are will those injured.’

A Suffolk Police statement said: ‘Emergency services attended reports of a fire at the Kings Head in Great Cornard at 9.58pm on Saturday, April 24.

‘It is believed the fire was the result of an explosion involving a small camping stove. Three people have been taken to hospital to be treated for injuries and a scene remains in place.’

Anyone with any information relating to the incident should contact Suffolk police on 101 quoting reference 398 of 24/04/2021.

Source: Read Full Article