World News

Travis Scott will pay for Astroworld victims' funerals as lawsuits mount

RAPPER Travis Scott says he'll cover the funeral costs of the eight victims who died in the violent crowds of his Astroworld concert – following a slew of lawsuits from surviving victims.

A number of injury lawyers, including famed civil rights attorney Ben Crump, are claiming that festival organizers failed to provide adequate security measures to prevent the stampedes that injured hundreds of concertgoers.


On Monday, 11 more lawsuits were issued against Scott, Drake, and Astroworld festival organizers Live Nation for gross negligance.

The 30-year-old rapper announced he'll cover the funeral costs of those who tragically lost their lives at the Houston, Texas event, as well as team up with BetterHelp to supply free one-on-one online therapy to others who attended.

Scott, whose real name is Jacques Bermon Webster II, will also refund the cost of all tickets.

But attendees and their lawyers, including Crump – who is representing Noah Gutierrez, 21 – said that the tragedy was "years in the making", given the injury record at Scott's previous performances.

Three fans were hospitalised following the same event in 2019.

The lawsuits also allege that Scott kept singing for more than 30 minutes despite numerous deaths, injuries and screams from fans for the show to stop.

"We are hearing horrific accounts of the terror and helplessness people experienced, the horror of a crushing crowd and the awful trauma of watching people die while trying to save them," Crump said in a statement.

The lawyer set up a designated website for anyone else traumatized by the experience to reach out for legal assistance, which could be found at astroworldclaimshelp.com.

"We will be pursuing justice for all our clients who were harmed in this tragic and preventable event," he added.

Amid the lawsuits, Crump shared a video from TikTok showing crowds at the gig chanting "stop the show", and another of a woman climbing a stage ladder and screaming to a stage hand that people were dying in the crowd.

Meanwhile, more than 15,000 people have signed a petition attempting to block the rapper from performing as a headliners at the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in California next April.

The Change.org petition- directed at Coachella organizers AEG, Paul Tollet and Goldenvoice – cites the Astroworld tragedy and Scott's alleged negligence as reason to remove him from the concert line-up.

On Sunday The Sun told how Scott was convicted of urging fans to rush security in 2015 and 2017.

Officers had been ­bracing themselves for a lively crowd on Friday night – as Police Chief Troy Finner warned Scott in his trailer hours before about the "energy in the crowd".


    Source: Read Full Article